Number Of Books You Read: 14
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Non-Fiction/Memoir
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Red Rising by Pierce Brown – At first glance it didn’t seem that much different from all the other Young Adult Dystopian trilogies coming out so I was hesitant to read it at first, especially since Divergent and Matched were such boring disappointments, but I really enjoyed the book and flew straight through it, I’m looking forward to completing the trilogy.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Furiously Happy and Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson – I bought both of these as Christmas presents and the friends I gave them to started reading them immediately.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
I’ve only just started to read the Shade of Magic series by V.E. Schwab (I know, I know, I’m so very behind) but I’m also going to be starting to read The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce for 2017
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I keep saying memoir is the genre I don’t find most comfortable or read a lot of, but in the last two years, the vast majority of the books on my list have been memoir books, so I’ll have to pick a genre I really like by rarely read from, which is the graphic novel/comics genre and the Saga comic series by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer) and Fiona Staples (Artist). I know it will sound cliche on the surface, especially with the inclusion of literal star-crossed lovers, but it’s really good and I can’t recommend it enough (also read from the beginning or it won’t make a lick of sense). I used to read graphic novels all the time, but kinda stopped, so I’m trying to get back into it.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Tie between the Saga comic series and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Saga Comic Series
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
Technically this is cheating as I haven’t read it yet, but I did buy it this year so I think it still counts, I just adore the cover of Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton, it’s beautifully embossed and I love running my hands over the cover.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
I’d have to say Prince Robot IV from Saga and Holland from A Darker Shade of Magic – both characters had really strong “Alas Poor Villain!” qualities, I didn’t agree with what they were doing, but I really felt for them.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
IDK, I don’t think I’ve got one for this year
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
Furiouly Happy by Jenny Lawson
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) and Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling – they were quick and easy reads but highly enjoyable, I don’t know why I put off reading them.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
My favourite chapter of Furiously Happy which is when Jenny and her husband Victor go to Japan and Victor ends up chasing out people “trying to break into their hotel room” in nothing but a pair of boxer shorts and a katana-sword.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
Shortest: We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 49 pages
Longest: Red Rising by Pierce Brown 434 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Probably a tie between The Night Circus (bad reasons) and Red Rising (good reasons)
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
I dunno, I still feel a bit meh about most of the couples I’m reading about
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller (they’re brothers) from the Harry Bosch series and The Lincoln Lawyer series (they occasionally cross-over) by Michael Connelly
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Probably A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, everyone was saying how great it is (which is true) I kind of felt I had to read it, but I’m super glad I did, although I did procrastinate a bit because of the hype.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
IDK, didn’t really have one.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
American Housewife by Helen Ellis – it’s a comedic collection of short stories, it’s worth a read.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Furiously Happy and Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
Most of the memoirs written by funny ladies had sharp painful moments, but M is for Autism by The Students of Limpsfield Grange School is the one that hit me in the feels the most
Book Blogging 2016
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson – Everyone I know will eventually get a copy of this book
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
The Night Circus by Erin Morganstein – I had been struggling with the book for so long, I was just so glad it was finally over and I could move on from it.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
This is hard for me to evaluate, but I’m glad I began the “Things We Don’t Talk About” series of blog-posts, they may not be popular but I don’t write those posts for popularity.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Probably The Beautiful People writing prompt created by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
Self-publishing my first Ebook, Canis Major: Volume I in the Pushing Boundaries series (yes, I will shamelessly plug my own book)
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Getting the reading and writing balance, I was trying to read and review 20 books this year, but my Ebook pretty much took over, which is fine, but I wish I had handled it better.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
The Beautiful Books – NaNoWriMo 2016
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
IDK, I was a little all over the place this year
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
We Need Diverse Books and Disability in Kidlit
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I aimed to read 20 books this year, but changed it to 10, I managed to read over ten books, but it still feels like cheating a little. I managed to self-publish my first Ebook with Kim’s help (Kim is amazing) and I also managed to graduate this year from University (some how? It’s all a bit of blur at this stage)
Looking Ahead to 2017
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
There are so many books I intended to read but had to discard, I’m going to try and remedy that this year.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
The Princess Bride (Book VS Movie) and The Last Unicorn (Book VS Movie)
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Our Dark Duet and A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
I’m hoping to finish the Hunger Games trilogy and the Red Rising trilogy by the end of the year
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Getting back to regularly commenting on the few book blogs I follow
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Probably the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab
~The Perpetual Page-Turner: End of Year Book Survey